SailNet Community - View Single Post - Original film from "Once is Enough" by Miles Smeeton
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
I've just been reading Once is Enough by Miles Smeeton, a famous account of a Cape Horn attempt in 1956 by three in a 46 foot wood ketch. There is one or two surprises.

Once Is Enough (Sailor's Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Miles Smeeton, Smeeton Miles: Books

There are main references in the book to John Guzzwell shooting film in a cine camera during the trip, including from a dinghy towed behind Tzu Hang, their ketch. If you are curious, fair examples of that film are shown here:

ITN Reporting 67: Cape Horn: Sailing Round the Horn

It's a great book-- a classic.
Yep, fabulous book. One of the all time classics of cruising under sail. The Smeeton's themselves, an interesting pair. Seem so very old fashioned today but hey, they came from another time and place.

I'm presuming you've read 'Trekka Around the World' as well ? They do go hand in hand. Poor old Tzu Hang .... her end was quite sad for such a lovely old lady.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook