SailNet Community - View Single Post - JB Weld---reinforced fiberglas
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
JB Weld---reinforced fiberglas

Without getting into too much detail, a few months ago when we were approaching Moreton Bay in Oz, we fired up the diesel after a nice 9 day passage when it was not used and the nipple that joins the engine to the exhaust elbow had broken off. We did a repair to it rather than calling someone for a tow (we had to go along a very narrow, twisty ship channel in the dark so sailing was not going to happen.

Anyway, what I did was temporarily position the broken nipple with a couple of wires and then put a good coating of JB Weld (some sort of epoxy with metal filler) on it, then put a piece of West Systems fibreglass tape on/into it and then another layer of JB Weld on top. We had to motor for about 12 hours to the Customs/Immigration dock up the Brisbane River (don't get me started on that one) and then to the marina where we are now tied up. The repair looks the same as when except it has changed color. I have a new nipple (brought back from Canada to get the thread right) but I look at the repair and it seems a shame to take it all apart and it might be difficult to get the broken piece out of the elbow - and I don't really want to buy a new one since this one is ok and they are pricey.

Am I asking for trouble if I trust the repair? I know they make exhaust fittings out of FG and this one has a higher quality binding agent.