SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Seal Harbor, Maine, 53 degrees, sunny, SSW / S wind at 10 to 15, #2 up and headed out of Eastern Way on November 13, 2011! Global Warming? I could become a fan of that! It was a Beautiful day! Amazing for this time of year. We were the last sailboat on a mooring here and there were no other sails visible yesterday. We missed their company. Lobster pots were still plentiful.

Jeanie had the helm from starting the A-4 before we cast off to shutting it down when we tied up to remove the sails in Northeast Harbor at sunset. She sailed Tundra Down off the mooring and I trimmed. It was a spectacular day out. The Avon surfed on our stern wave. All systems passed their end of season check. We ran the engine to burn some gas that has been sitting in the tank all season. The #2 had to be eased a few times when the wind picked up to 20+ as we sailed between islands. The traveler was eased a bit too.

Bob Perry designed a very easy boat. The Islander 28 is the most comfortable boat I have ever handled. Jibing in 15+ knots of wind with a #2 jib is a simple and precise maneuver. The boat just does what you want and expect it to do.

There were a few low clouds that looked like fog patches between the mountains of Mount Desert Island. It was a spectacular way to end the season. Can't wait for 2012 launch!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook