SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stackpacks, Lazyjacks, and Mainsail Facts!
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
My Catalina came factory with the Dutchman system. I like it better then lazy jack systems we have used in the past.

It does not help with making a quick exit from the boat after a day of sailing. You still have to put on a traditional sail cover that can be slightly more complicated due to the monofilament lines. Also, taking the sails off and putting them back on is a little more complicated. However, that system can be made easier. We have a line that the monofilament is attached to that can be disconnected from the topping lift and be stored with the sail. So you don't have to re-thread the monofilament each year.

One of the negatives I have heard about for the stack-pack/Mack-pack type of set up is that they can flap and be loud while under sail. Also, they limit the ability to have reef points for the mainsail.

If i were to pick, I would stay with the Dutchman.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook