SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mystery Shutdown (at just the wrong time!)
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-14-2011 Thread Starter
JimPendoley

Mystery Shutdown (at just the wrong time!)

Hi All,
Had a nerve wracking shutdown of my A4 today while sailing in gusty conditions. Symptoms were a "Clunk" and then a stuttering shutdown. Upon restart, I noticed my tach stopped reading. I've converted to an electronic ignition years ago. The engine ran a minute or two then shut down again. Oil pressure fine and so was the temp, alternator charging normally. I was motor sailing in boisterous conditions and a little on my ear. I would have thought it was sediment in the tank stirred up, but I do have a fuel water separator and I add gas stabilizer with every fill. This happened more than half a dozen times and it's a problem today because I have to exit a particularly long and tortured channel in the next few days.
The engine did finally stay running, but I kept the throttle low and the boat flat-still no tach. Is this suggestive of a coil breaking down? Prop seems clear, but I'm not going overboard to check-its November in New England after all...no water int the bilge.
Any suggestions on how to test the coil greatly appreciated.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome