SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Blue Water Cruiser

Neither of these are boat that I would normally think of as ''blue water'' boats. They are both high production models with trade-offs aimed at a price conscious market.

There are Beneteau models that I would be comfortable taking offshore but the 36CC is not one of those models. This is a model that appears to be aimed at coastal cruising rather than offshore voyaging under sail. The first clue comes if you look at the layout of the 36 CC. There is not a single real seaberth on board. They come standard with a roller furling mainsail which to me is another clue that this is not intended as an offshore boat. (You just about can''t rig a storm trisail on a roller furler mast.)It si very hard to do a proper offshore yacht with a center cockpit in a length shorter 40 feet.

I was very curious about the Bavarias myself. The Bavarias had gotten a lot of ink. As a result I spent a fair amount of time going over a couple different models. I found the Bavarias very disappointing in many ways but was especially disappointed at the build quality (which I expected to be on a scale with Dehler but its wasn''t) and with the detailing and build quality. I see these as pretty much on the par with the big three boats; Beneteau, Hunter, or Catalina and maybe a smidge below.

I agree with the earlier suggestion that you set aside approximately 20-30% of your boat buying budget for repairs, upgrades and fitting out of a boat that you intend to take offshore. There are plenty of good boats out there within your budget.

Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook