SailNet Community - View Single Post - Books on navigation and offshore passages
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006

KarlTomasik is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. We've been out and about, sailing, buying the rest of the stuff we need--you're right that I maybe should be focusing on what we're going to need in the next several months rather than future offshore passages.

Then again, we have fast, reliable internet access now, through which we can buy used books, as well as an address to which things can be sent. I suppose we can always pick up books as we go, but it seemed like a good idea to buy the basics now.

I am also trying to find the best Atlantic coast, Caribbean, and ICW cruising guides, and paper charts from Chesapeake down. We're hoping that we can do some trading as we go--I've heard people talk about that, but I'm not sure how much it's still done.

I'm still trying to find the best easy celestial navigation guide I can, and trying to decide whether or not to bring sight-tables. I've found that inter-library loan is fantastic for reviewing books before deciding whether or not to buy them, and just a great source of information in general. Right now I'm reviewing the Dashews' GIANT Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia, Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes, as well as trying to make sense of some sight tables.

And we're new members of the SSCA, as of this month. We have some of the Calder manuals, a lot of Pardey books, but I'm still trying to decide if we should buy things like a hard copy of Bowditch.

Thanks again for all the help,
Melissa Jenks and Karl Tomasik
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook