SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell me about the Delaware Bay
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Depending on your draft the Delaware Bay can be a great place to sail, there is plenty of good sailing outside the shipping channel; 20+ on the NJ side C&D entrance to Egg Island flats, 9+ closer to the wetlands, a bit less on the DE side. The charts are accurate.

Not as many great destinations as the Chesapeake, but during the mid summer when the air is dead on the Chesapeake there will be a breeze on the Delaware, and the lower bay will always have wind.

This is from July, I reefed before leaving Bidwell Creek for the Maurice River because the wind was 15 to 20, then dropped to 10 to 15 but I kept the reef because I was lazy and making 5.5 knots. Water depth on this section of the lower bay not less than 9ft at low tide even over the oyster reefs;

Edit after Chef2sail
Yes square waves are a reality, sometimes like being in the wakes of a hundred powerboats at the same time, but after an hour or two they do die down. Wind and current direction dependent, with steeper waves over the various flats.

For the greenheads I have been using sunscreen with citronella from Badger, it does not stop them swarming but they will not linger on your skin long. Worse closer to the shore or in inlets, less of a problem in a good breeze.

Last edited by Ulladh; 11-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook