SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell me about the Delaware Bay
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Popping out of the Chesapeake is the way you want to go for a couple of reasons. First being the prevailing winds on the ocean are SE and S onshore in the summer months so you are looking at a reach most of the way up the coast. Secondly you would be able to transit from Cape May or Lewes up to the Canal in one day as you have 7+ hours with the tide, and if you play t correctly you should be able to make the Canal at a min imum. You would also have the wind aft of the beam on the trip up the river/ bay.

As Udallah mentioned it is a good place to sail if you keep your boat down there, but I would prefer the ocean in Cape May area as opposed to the Bay because of the long fetch of wind over the shallow water building the chop.

As Jameswilson and Udallah have said there is plenty of water close to the Jersey side, with the occasional ovster or fish trap. Since you proabably will be motorsailing to insure the greatest distance before the tide changes you can pretty much travel in a straight line bewtenn points as you make your way up/ down the river cutting off the elbows and bends as there is enough water. Sjips will not be a problem for you at all until you get up near the nuke plant and have to cross over into the canal.

Thats a fun trip you are planning. I beleive PDQAltair did this a few years back with his new catamaran and daughter and had a great story on here.

If I can be of any help let me know.

Dave

Our trip transitting the Delaware is usually our least memorable day as it is monotonous and the green heads. It is however a means to the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook