SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell me about the Delaware Bay
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I've made the passage up and down the Delware many times outside the channel

Truely, the traffic in the channel is generally light and it's easy enought to slide off to one side when big ships are coming. Close encounters aren't needed. If the visability is an thing short of fine, I parralel the channel on the Jersey side. Yes, the chop is worse over shallows, but this is only a factor on bad days.

The ugly truth is that most boats motor the Delaware, as they cannot always get the alighnment of tide and wind they want; they wait for light winds and motor with the tide.

There are a few marked shoals. A good chart is always needed. I've never seen anything different than what the charts indicate, unless near a river entrance. No different than the Chesapeake regarding watching for shallows, really, so long as your boat draws less than 6 feet.

I've never had luck with Avon. I've found DEET applied every 20 minutes (not every 3-4 hours) works. I'm also sure that different people require different solutions, just as the bugs always like some folks more than others.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook