SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mystery Shutdown (at just the wrong time!)
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
I have seen debris collect in fuel line fittings. The fittings are smaller than the fuel line so junk will collect at fittings and cut off fuel, but then open up enough when flow stops to restart the engine and then fail again very soon on, or maybe hours later. Under low power enough gasoline could get through to run the engine. However, I do not think this is the problem. The non-operational tachometer indicates to me that the triggering circuit is getting weak for the rest of the electronic ignition system. The triggering circuit would also drive the tachometer. It’s probably not the coil but these are cheap so just replace if you think that is it. It might be it. My experience with coils is that when they fail, coming back to life after cool down is unlikely. I do not think the electric pump influences the ignition system because if the current draw were too high to influence it, the fuse or circuit breaker would open. I suppose it could be a resetting circuit breaker that would allow intermittent operation and in that case both fuel pressure and ignition would not be there, but it takes a number of minutes for an automatic reset because of required cool down. If the water is deep enough at your dock, you could tie the boat securely and run the engine in gear for test purposes. Else, borrow an outboard in case the engine quits in a bad place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook