SailNet Community - View Single Post - How does one reinforce bulkheads?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailKing1 View Post
Here is a good article from west systems I used when I replaced the bulkheads in my islander.

WEST SYSTEM | Projects | Fiberglass Boat Repair and Restoration - Replacing damaged bulkheads
That article looks exactly like what I went through on my old Quarter Tonner. I did one extra step though. After the glass had fully cured and been painted I drilled through the tabbing and bulkhead every 6" and put 1/4" hex head machine screws through, backed by large diameter fender washers on each side and acorn nuts on the back side.

I polished all the fasteners first so it looked good (at least to my eye) and it added a significant amount of backup to the bond between glass and plywood. I had a number of very positive complements on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook