SailNet Community - View Single Post - O'Day 39's and 40's?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBoat
I did not realize O'Days were out of production. I guess I HAVE been out of the loop for a while , but in this case, I guess that's a good thing as my memory of the 80's O'Day is fresh.

I'd pass if I were you. While the rigging problems might have been addressed, the overall quality of the boat will still be the same.

As far as the Dufour I was referring to, the rigging had not been modified. It was just a MUCH better boat.

Have you checked out the reviews on the Practical Sailor site? They might be helpful in your search.
I don't know what you were comparing to, but I was told by both Hunter and Catalina dealers that build quality of mid 80's Oday's was considered a cut above H's and C's of the same vintage. I looked a lot of both before we settled on our Oday 322. Of course I'm new to sailing so maybe I'm stupid, or maybe the build quality on the bigger Oday's was better than their smaller boats but every thing I found on the web (including Practical Sailor) and in talking to brokers (one's who were not trying to sell me an Oday) were very positive.

I can't provide first hand knowledge of how my boat sails compared to others, because I only have the one point of reference, but I can tell you it's comfortable for weekending and as newbies we've had no problems with the way the boat is rigged. All lines are led aft, the main has jiffy reefing, etc.

Hinghambay may want to check out the O'day specific sites for the particular model he/she is interested in.

www.odayowners.com

http://oday.home.att.net/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook