SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repair Bottom?
Thread: Repair Bottom?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
If you're going to fix them, then yes, pop them. The reason I asked about how many is if there's only a couple, I for one might just ignore them. If you're not going to do the repair until the Spring, popping them now is kinda up to you. It's hard for me to tell from the video, but they don't seem bad. You'll definitely want a 2 part Epoxy resin and hardener. I'd use a filler to get it kinda like silly putty, as the gravitation will be pulling downward. The key, I think, is to create a "bowl" around the blister, deeper in the center to gradually meeting the original hull. That will make for a smoother, less noticeable fix. If you've ever done drywall work, it's very similar to filling a nail hole with putty. The shallower you can get the outside ring, the smoother the finish and less sanding at the end. Probably need to use a grinder to get the bad out before starting the fix. I'd imagine it's not something you can hand sand for sure.

By the way, I've seen some of those blisters really "burst" open when popped so act accordingly. Safety goggles are cheap (a lot less that a trip to the ER) and that stuff coming out is ugly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook