SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many monitor VHF 16 while sailing?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
One of my major beefs locally with Ch 16 is the power of the USCG stations in Pt Angeles, say, blasting over everything even 60 miles away... do I really need to know about a local issue in Pt Angeles harbour when I'm in central Georgia Strait?? Every 15 minutes?
That is annoying for sure...it sounds like they're transmitting from a submarine with that echo thing going on, I can hear them clear as a bell up north a bit. There was quite a battle going on between them and the CCG right on 16 for a good part of the summer. They would cut right into some of our sinking vessel mayday's with non emergency stuff. The CCG would then make it clear to everyone that they had cut into the emergency. But I'm curious, can Comox CG Radio be heard over a standard marine radio down in the San Juan's or the Juan De Fuca Strait?

As to the original topic. I stop monitoring 16 during the "radio check months of June, July and August" but now I'm going to use Faster's handheld trick...it never really occured to me. I always monitor traffic and usually a working channel. At work I always monitor 16 and traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 11-18-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook