SailNet Community - View Single Post - newbie seeks advice
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011

windyway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by makenmend View Post
Anyone care to enlighten me on their launch/retreval and mast raising/lowering methods. Not ready to get on the water yet but getting close.

MM
Make sure you have equal weight on both sides of the boat. I just figured out that my engine, fuel tank, & battery made my spirit lean over just a bit when viewing on the water but what I didn't realize was that the shoal keel was not lined up with the center of the trailer when the bow was...you can guess what happens, the boat came up on the trailer totally leaned over on 1 bunk! Now I put the tank (12 Gal) in the middle (under the cockpit floor). Both batteries are on the opposites side of the boat now. So it should be good.

I also built an extended tongue that gives my trailer about an extra 8ft. I chock the wheels, disconnect the main tongue drive back a bit, & pull out the launching tongue & hook it up, works great!

I also built an extendable square pipe up front with a pulley on top & an electric winch on it. To raise the mast I extend the front support then extend the rear mast support, pin it then roll the mast back on the aft support, pin the large pin on the mast foot, hook up the forestay to the front winch & pulley then just electric winch it up at my leisure, pin the small mast pin, disconnect the pulley, then attach the forestay & tighten all the standing rigging. I have raised the mast with 2 people without the pulley system I have now but I thought it was unsafe, so I built something that does the job alot better and I can do it alone.

Last edited by windyway; 11-27-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook