SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refitting for the Spring
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Ahhh chris you haven't been following the thread closely enough! I have decided not to rip out the liner or make any drastic changes to the interior, because the cost of doing so wouldn't justify it. You are right, for the additional money I could just buy a bigger more seaworthy boat. As for time, I enjoy these kinds of projects immensely and can still sail the boat while the interior is being worked on.

I am, as someone on this thread recommended, starting small. I took out the countertop of the galley, giving me access to the area underneath the cockpit floor. The countertop is old and stained, peeling laminate, etc., so I am going to build a new one from a sheet of plywood and some countertop material. I am leaning towards bamboo flooring ($44 at home depot), but may do laminate ($66) I'm not sure. I think the bamboo would look nice and be very durable, but the laminate is seamless and also durable...

While the area is opened up, I will install a battery box under the cockpit floor (frees up the cockpit locker). I will make this accessible from an already existing panel cutout in the cockpit locker. I then plan on making a baffled watertank, and using the remaining space under the cockpit floor for that.

Then in place of the original top opening cooler, I'm pretty sure that I will put in a mini fridge. At the slip it will be nice to have, and for the cruising I do next year I will ensure that it easily comes out and the space can be used for a standard igloo type cooler.

This should keep my hands full for now.

Honestly though, any thoughts on the bamboo countertop, aesthetically?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook