SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refitting for the Spring
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not sure about the product referenced, but some flooring materials are not solid. Rather they can have what appears to be particle board backers, which I've found from experience, do not like moisture at all. I had a basement buckle, despite having put underlayment as directed. I would never use that on a boat for any purpose.
This is the kind of first hand experience I was looking for. Yes, the material I was looking at is only about 3/8" real bamboo on top, with what seems like a really cheap softwood backer running perpendicular to the grain of the bamboo. The pieces click together like traditional solid hardwood flooring. I didn't think about the possibility of delamination...

I have also seen some solid bamboo flooring, which would I suppose not risk delamination since it has no backing. It is far heavier though.

I am surprised you say the bamboo is soft, I thought it was supposed to be extremely dense, that is supposedly one of its strong points... but first hand experience beats marketing I suppose. Then again, I don't foresee sliding a refrigerator on this countertop...

As far as laminates, it would be the perfect solution I know. I may just go with it in the end. But... the boat is already a plastic tupperware if you think of it, I feel like something "real" would add visual appeal to the interior...

Maybe I'll check out the tiles idea, if they wouldn't be too heavy. What sized tiles was that boat using? The small ones or the big ones? I wonder which would come out lighter...

Last edited by peterchech; 11-20-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: details details
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook