SailNet Community - View Single Post - boat living question for someone green
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
business,

From this and your other posts, I gather that you would benefit from some classroom training. I get that you want to have the vagabond lifestyle, and not that it hasn't been done before (and will be again) but there is really more to owning and operating a boat than just hopping on and sailing off. It's just not safe (for either you or the other boaters on the water) if you have no idea what you're getting into.

US Power and Sail Squadron and the Coast Guard Auxiliary both provide classroom training to teach you about your legal responsibilities as a boat owner, navigation rules, required equipment, basic maintenance, rules of the road, and a host of other practical information. I suggest that you find your local power squadron or flotilla and sign yourself up.

Given that you've never stepped foot on a marina, I'll go out on a limb and assume that you have limited experience operating a boat. To gain on-water experience, you can look into American Sailing Association (ASA) or US Sailing classes or find a local sailing club where you can sail on other members' boats. Sailing clubs and associations are fairly inexpensive (usually under $50/year).

Good luck with whatever route you take, but I implore you to at a minimum first learn what it takes to be a safe boater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook