SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Blue Water Cruiser

Well I guess the answer depends on what you consider a boat suitable for cruising and bluewater "capable". (I know we have exchanged email but I am drawing a blank at the moment so I am assuming that you are on the Chesapeake.) There does not seem to be as many boats out there as there was last year at this time, but what is out there represents a pretty wide range of choices. Here are some of the boats that I saw on YW:

Farr 38asking $49,000)
At the performance end of your posibilities is a sistership of the Farr 38 (Farr 11.6) that I just bought. This boat is in Annapolis and neat boat with a lot of gear BUT this particular one is a crudely finished and would need some work to bring her up to yacht condition. She just cruised in this summer from South Africa on her own bottom with the Owner doing the leg from Cape Town to the Vigin Islands single handed. He averaged 175 miles a day for the fist 10 days and 150 mile days for the whole trip including the Duldrums. She''s a bit of a project but essentially a good boat.

C&C 40 (In Connecticutt $79,900)
A little down in speed and ease of sailing from the Farr but a nice solid boat capable of good performance. Beautiful boats to look at and nice boats to sail. Some had a very yacht like interior while others were stripped out racers.

C&C Landfall 38 ($77,900)
These were good all around boats. They probably are not as fast, sturdy or attractive as the C&C 40 but OK boats.

Cheoy Lee Pedrick 40 (79,500)
I am not sure what to say on this one. They are held in pretty high regards. I don''t like the teak decks and I am not a big fan of Pedrick''s work during this period.

Morgan Brewer 38 (382) ($40,000 -$55000)
These are certainly venerable boats. They sail reasonably well and good looking boats but are not good in light air. They are safe bets in the cruising department.

If you want to get extreme in the serious no-hold-barred cruising boat department, there is a green Steel Hulled Colvin Schooner at Jabin''s Eastport Yard (second street) that looks to be a go anywhere boat.

Also at that end of the scale is a 39 foot Colin Archer Ketch for $79,900

At the risk of starting a food fight, I would also include the Cheribini designed Hunter 37 (1981-1985)($38,000 to $48000). These are really pretty good boats. I would put them on a par with the Morgan 38''s but they are way cheaper.

Just a couple suggestions.
Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook