SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel engine, top sides, hull, and woodwork repair
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011

mccrook1 is on a distinguished road
Diesel engine, top sides, hull, and woodwork repair

New member here. I've grown up most of my life sailing with my father. He has a nice Cape Cod Marlin 23 foot Cruiser that he brought back to life as his retirement present to himself about 20 years ago. The boat has been sitting now for about 9 years in his yard due to physical issues with aging. I've been asking him for a the last couple of years for him to let me get the boat water ready and sail it. He surprised me this year by saying yes and also telling me that he is giving me the boat. I've gotten quotes for all the work. The 12hp Westerbeke diesel is not seized. The wood work needs to be all done (no replacing wood but complete revarnishing and everything that goes along with it), the hull and topsides show signs of cracking. The hull mainly near the rub rail, the topsides mostly in the bow area. Like I said, I've gotten quotes from our Marina and am wondering if anyone else thinks they are probably high. Engine $1,600, Top sides Deck painting $3,850, Hull painting $3,000, Wood work toe rail, bow sprit, cockpit coaming, lazarette hatch and hand rails oiled, cockpit floor $2,400. I've already got someone elsd for the engine. Any thoughts on if this is too much money to expect to pay for these services wood be helpful. This boat is going to get done one way or another. This is a Herreshoff designed boat and I'm going sail it. Also, I am in southern Rhode Island and if anyone has suggestions on where to get additional estimates or suggestions I am all ears. I just get the sense the these prices are a bit high, but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook