SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for advice on my first boat
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-21-2011 Thread Starter
LarryMac (sailing newby)
Looking for advice on my first boat

I am new to sailing and new to this web site. I would appreciate some advice and different perspectives. I am looking for my first sailboat this winter after taking ASA sailing classes on Grand Traverse Bay (Michigan) in October on a 31' Hunter. It was cold, rainy and very windy...I learned alot and confirmed that I want to continue learning.

I turn 50 next year, live in central Indiana and am looking for a boat (and trailer) that I can sail on Lake Monroe and/or Brookville Lake. After doing some reading, I am leaning toward a boat in the 20'-24' range. I enjoyed the size of the Hunter 31, but finally convinced myself that a boat that size would not be practical for me at this point. I'm not looking for a project boat. I'm looking for a good, affordable (under $10K), stable boat that I can learn on, introduce sailing to my Grandson and then "move up" to a different boat in a few years.

I am looking for suggestions on boats that would be easy to launch and single-hand sail. I am also looking for opinions on the Compac 23, Bayfield 23, Nimble 24 and Aquarius 23.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome