SailNet Community - View Single Post - How does one reinforce bulkheads?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
thanks for the great advice. I'll have to remember to print that and keep it with the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Where are you planning on going with the boat? I think the chainplate arrangement is strong enough for the boat's intended purpose.
It might be. I will be cruising new york bay and li sound next summer. Hopefully I will get to florida (towed) and cross to the bahamas in a few years.

I have missed alot of sailing days this season due to high winds. The furling jib is near useluss, a parachute, when reefed. The main has no drive at all without at least some jib out. When out in these conditions, if I have to release the reefed jib because it is a big parachute edging me to a knockdown, and it goes flapping in a loooong gust, I see the whole rig being seriously stressed. It has never been replaced since 1981. I will be re-rigging anyway in a year or two (saving for it), so I was thinking why not replace with upgraded rigging?

But truthfully, I may remove the roller furler and replace with hank-on jibs. That way I will be able to reef effectively, and still have control of the boat. And the properly shaped jib probably won't stress the rig nearly as much...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook