SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which route would you choose - Red Sea or Cape?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you've made your choice and will be rounding the cape. In your situation, that's probably what I would have choosen as well.

As I see it, the only real options are:

1) risking the piracy of the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden to cruise north of Africa into the Mediterranean Sea,

2) risking the extremely long and potentially very stormy passage around South Africa and the Cape of Good Hope,

3) sail back across the Pacific and fight the opposing currents and weather,

4) pay to have your sailboat transported aboard a cargo ship across the Indian Ocean and into the Mediterranean Sea.

Those options donít make for an easy choice.

I have a goal to do a major cruise someday. Iíve never felt that the cruise has to include a circumnavigation to live up to my lofty expectations. Iím not the kind of sailor who makes decisions based on setting records or checking boxes off on some list. In fact, part of why I sail is to escape such societal values.

I do know that if I were doing my "world" cruise today Iíd probably skip the Indian Ocean all together (and likely the Med, given the itinerary below). I think Iíd make a u-turn in the Pacific at Australia and ride the Kuroshio and North Pacific Currents back to California. If my voyage began in the Great Lakes, I'd still see the east coast of the U.S., the Caribbean, Central America, the South Pacific, Australia, possibly Hawaii and eventually California.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook