SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Blue Water Cruiser

There are 2 Oday 40''s. One is an aft cabin sloop and the other is a sistership (of sorts) of the Jeaneau 40. I have not been a big fan of either of the O''Day 40''s. The aft cabin design is a simple boat that had a lot of popularity. I have never sailed on one but have seen them under sail and never been impressed with their sailing ability. My recollection of the interior were a little plastic-y.

The aft cockpit Oday 40 is a issue with me. They were a reasonable attempt at a performance cruiser. They had a nice workable layout and seemed to be reasonablly well thought out. That said their hull and rig design were heavily negatively influenced by the IOR rule and as such reduced their appeal to me. They are very similar boats to the Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40 which used the same hull tooling.

Jeanneaus are hard boats to classify. They always seem to not as well constucted as Beneteaus (or Hunters and Catalinas for that matter) My exposure to these boast have been less than positive. Yet, that said Jeanneaus seem to have a strong following and I know that people have done a lot of distance cruising in these boats.

My Mother had a brand new Endeavor 40. She basically liked the boat as a live-aboard and island cruiser. During the time that they owned the boat there were a fairly large amount of what I would classify as build quality issues. I thought that the deck hardware was undersized and poorly laid out. They sail reasonably well in winds over 12 knots and less than 20 kts. I thought they had a really uncomfortable motion. Still these were a lot of boat for the money. If I remember right they were designed by the same Johnson that went on to design the Island Packets.

Good hunting.
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook