SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which route would you choose - Red Sea or Cape?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
SNIP
I do know that if I were doing my "world" cruise today I’d probably skip the Indian Ocean all together (and likely the Med, given the itinerary below). I think I’d make a u-turn in the Pacific at Australia and ride the Kuroshio and North Pacific Currents back to California. If my voyage began in the Great Lakes, I'd still see the east coast of the U.S., the Caribbean, Central America, the South Pacific, Australia, possibly Hawaii and eventually California.
Ever since I read Hal Roth's "Two on a Big Ocean" Thats been my dream cruise as well, or a version thereof at least. Dodging the opposing cylone/typhoon seasons would be difficult in that its hard to find a safe haven to wait out the overlapping period. The havens exist but you'll be living in a sauna for a month or so.

The Pacific circuit allows a visit Asian countries such as Japan that are off the traditional beaten track and for me is a good way to get to see Alaska and the PNW. The crossing from Japan to Alaska has to give one pause. Could get a tadge nasty.

Of course once you are in Alaska the NW Passage beckons and that route to Europe or ECAmerica becomes increasingly doable as time goes by.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook