SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you control engine throttle and gear
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
My previous boat had the throttle and selector down low. As others have pointed out, slow and steady wins the race.

I did consider fashioning a longer, removable, handle extension to attach to the fwd/rev lever just for docking.

Being on a mooring, most of my docking is coming up alongside.

Getting into or out of a slip is something I do once or twice a year. It can be pretty nerve racking. Acting like a prairie dog while docking just ads to the mess.
This is exactly how I feel- a prairie dog- lol. I might try a piece of pvc pipe as an extension, even a 18 inch long piece would help a lot. I do like another poster said, look at the water to see how fast and relative motion of the boat, but that still is like driving a car by looking out a side window. I do go slow into the slip, but at times the wind will push me off and I back out and leave the slip and come around again. When this happens, the wind can blow the bow off and it would be nice to see what is happening while I am working engine controls. My slip is also basically a double slip with not even a piling between me and the boat next to me. So if the wind starts pushing the bow off, I can hit the boat next to me.
Thanks for all the advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook