SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not another &*%@ing "Help Me Find The Right Boat" thread?!?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Not another &*%@ing "Help Me Find The Right Boat" thread?!?

Budget = selling price under $40,000 ( I figure it's safe to look at boats asking up to 50K).
Length = 30 to 33 ft
Draft = less than 6 ft, closer to 5 ft is preferable for my mooring
Keel = fin, wing, centerboard... cruiser/racer, just plane fun to sail.

Use = mostly day sailing, spending three- five nights per week aboard in the summer. A couple of week+ cruises consisting of mostly day sails to the next port.

Access = kept on a mooring with easy access to pump out, battery charge.

Cruising area = Long Island Sound, Fisher's Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Narragansett Bay.

Important Stuff =

On the stiff side. Sailing the sounds in New England can lead to an insane variety of conditions within a short time. Often, by the time the main is reefed conditions have changed, one is completely becalmed and being attacked by flesh eating flies...see Samuel Clemen's quotes for more info.

Head room. I'm 6' 1" and really tired of stooping. I want to be comfortable down below. I like to cook on board so the galley area design would be important.

Large head so I can (semi) comfortably shower.

Ease of boarding through the transom. i.e. Walk or step through transom. Lugging coolers and crap back and forth to the mooring from the dink or kayak. I'm getting back into SCUBA.

Wish list; Most lines lead to the cockpit, self tailing winches, propane, hot water, fractional rig, self cleaning bottom, mermaid, etc...

Last edited by RobGallagher; 11-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook