SailNet Community - View Single Post - Inflatables; Need advice
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
I have a 28 footer I'll be sailing along the New Hampshire seacoast for which I will need a tender. Most use will be daysails or weekends, with a few multi-day trips per season. We expect 4 adults (max) on board for normal use. I'll be mooring in a yacht club with launch service.

So... my plan is a PVC inflatable with 850+/- pound capacity that will be powered by a 3.3HP 2-stroke. I have a great deal of locker storage and plan to store the boat deflated and only inflate it when needed with a powered inflator. The use will be anchorage exploring and ferrying into shore from anchor, speed is not a concern.

So the core questions here are:
1. For those who have stored your tenders deflated and inflated them only for each use, how much of a hassle?
2. Is a wood-slat-floor roll-up the best design for this use?
3. I'm considering 9-foot PVC models that weigh 75+/- pounds with 4-person capacity. How unwieldy are these to inflate, store and deflate?

Any other advice is welcomed.
Forget inflating and deflating, and don't even think about trying to stow it onboard. It ain't fun, it ain't pretty and it ain't necessary. On a 28 foot boat you are gonna need all the storage you can find aboard for general cruising stuff. On our 23 footer we installed davits for storage, but most often find ourselves simply towing our inflatable. It slows us slightly, but not enough to be horribly annoying, and the fact that it is ready to go when we drop anchor or tie up is a nice advantage after a long day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook