SailNet Community - View Single Post - are sailors cheap
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
...............This one dude pulls up in a Catalina 30 he maybe was coming in .3 knts not even a knot real slowwww i grab his LIFELINE he yells DON'T grab that you will rip it off! A total A S S hole so my first thoughts were to start something but i am bigger then that so i let his boat go and walked away !!

to me he is cheap or just old and grumpy and thinks he owns a supper yacht!
Allow me to present the other side of this story. I often approach a dock very slowly and with plans to stop my vessel before securing dock lines. I appreciate help on the dock and I know the intentions are good, but I'm continually defending my old, meager, but precious to me boat, from those that try to stop my 13 ton vessel moving at one third of a knot by grabbing lifelines, prying on stanchions, shrouds or running rigging that is not designed to take the stresses of docking. I usually hand the person on the dock a mid-ship line with a lot of slack so they won't do any harm while I tie up my boat and then I thank them. It's not unusal to see someone hand a bow line to a well-meaning dock hand that snubs the moving boat tight and the stern is swung out of reach while the bow crashes into the dock. My take on the story is that the boat owner was nervous and too loud with his response, but only trying to protect his boat and his docking plan. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook