SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important for the Ladies
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I never really understand why there is this difference between what men and women want in a cruiser.

Most of the stuff makes the guys sound like they want a dark damp cave that sails on the edge all the time.

The only things I wanted in the boat that my wife didn't have on her list were related to doing maintenance.
Your last line covers a lot of it - refrigeration, air conditioning, pressure water systems, electric heads etc. etc. all require a lot of skilled and expensive maintenance after a few years. And a lot more money in the first place.

I also think a lot of guys are looking for a bit of the "tree house" thing in a boat. Getting away from the complexities of modern life is a big driver for a lot of guys but if you take it all with you on the boat......? Personally, I don't even want a cell phone along and on most of my boats I didn't even have a VHF. I DO want a nice big GPS plotter in future though, just to eliminate the drudgery of navigating our "complex" local waters.

I've done it to both extremes of homelike comfort and soggy misery and neither are really my preference. I want to stay dry & warm and be able to stand up straight in the head - everything else is optional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook