SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important for the Ladies
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
A workable galley and decent storage would have been my wife's top pick, ... cockpit was a bit more ergonomically friendly, esp while heeled.
The same with my wife, that, water tankage and a head with a separated shower. It has been quite amusing because on the boat shows that's about all she takes notes and then when I saw some boat I like (normally good sailing boats) she does not like them most of the time. They miss on some of the points that she find important.

We had a 36ft Bavaria and she compares that boat with all the boats we see on boat shows. The problem is that the Bavaria was a very good boat in what regards tankage and storage space. Even the galley was good for a 36ft boat.

I remember some bigger boats that I found interesting like the "old" Jeanneau 42i that she surprisingly found that had less storage space than the Bavaria in what regards storage.

It was of no use to argue with her that the weight distribution of the boat was very important and that the tanks should better be on both sides of the boat. She just see that is just a big waste of space

A boat is a compromise and each one has it's own. It is better to have a look without such a complete list and see how the boat meet the criteria you and your wife find more important.

My wife had been with me in some test sails and she found quickly that a narrow boat sails with a lot of heel while a modern beamy boat sails with much less heel. If the choose was all hers, she would chose a boat like the RM 1200, a boat with a huge initial stability and that sails with less heel.

I guess that heel is important while cooking. You have just to look to the new Benetau, the Sense and the Oceanis: The women have won, they want boats that heel not much while sailing and they have got it

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook