SailNet Community - View Single Post - How low can you run your fuel tank
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Good points all. I'm not too worried about water and gunk as I'll have the tank cleaned this winter. I know it is baffled, but I don't know how well. I can see a fore and aft line on the top of the tank which would indicate a fore and aft baffle, but I don't know about side to side.

Those of you who have cleaned your tank, what kind of of access do you have? I have one square plate about 8 X 8. I can't imagine with the baffling that this will allow very good access. It is just bedded in and attached with what appear to be sheet metal screws. I'll have to have the fuel polished after removing and cleaning that.

Taking it out and running it until it ran dry would certainly give me the definitive answer, but may be a bit difficult. If I take it down to, say, 5 gallons remaining, that leaves me with still potentially needing to run for seven hours or more before it ran dry. So I would need to run for seven hours and be in a nonhazardous location when it went dry. Lots of tidal currents activity up here in the Northwest.

Looking back over my fuel log, I see that one time I actually did put 30 gallons in, but unfortunately I don't remember the circumstances, but I do know they were in flat water. I will keep better notes in the future!!!

I hate strapping fuel cans on deck, but I think I may have to resort to carrying a couple of 5 gal cans this year. Jeez, I'm already down to the water line. Run the engine at lower RPM and sail more. I'm still trying to figure out why I burn fuel faster than everyone else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook