SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at sea
Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Man, it's a slippery slope though when we/they/someone tries to define worthy versus unworthy SAR calls for reimbursement purposes afterward. Is abandoning/getting rescued from a seaworthy hull and rig (my old man used to say, "kid, the boat's tougher than you are") enough? Torn sails (how many)? What if what's shredded is the storm jib and trysail? Dismasted hull? Parted stay? Steering failure? Fuel spilled in the interior? Seasickness to the point of dehydration and mega-fatigue?

Look, I agree the motorsailer ketch looks fine, and not having a nav fix doesn't mean "lost at sea" to me, what a joke. But the Coast Guard is going to continue to answer these calls, it's what they do. Should they decide if they want their money back? Or some other agency? Or leave it to the hull insurers? Or you have to pay for injury or (God forbid) death or loss of boat or aircraft by the rescuers?

Easier to mock than to come up with a system that makes sense. And then we have more regulation, bureaucracy, and less individual freedom (though yes, the latter is often abused.

I just don't think this is as simple as it seems to us typing at dry desks.

Last edited by nolatom; 11-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook