SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at sea
Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Have another one. On this one the sea is a bit worse but the boat is not at risk. Well sailed and running downwind with a bit of sail I am quite sure that would be perfectly alright. With an floating anchor and pointing to the wind should also be perfectly alright. I believe that the boat could even be sailed against the wind and at least be maintained stationary. Of course, not with a big genoa, but with an appropriated front sail.

The skipper has an injured harm but he injured the harm in the storm and I fail to understand why he had not a rigged stay and a storm sail on it, before the storm, for control. The boat was on a rally so he knew the bad weather was coming and should have the boat ready before the bad weather. I don't see any removable stay, so the chances is that he had not one and that is inadmissible on that type of boat with a big Genoa on an ocean crossing.

They all say the boats are making water but the chances are that in a storm a boat will not be completely watertight. I guess that for some some water on the bottom is making water. They say that the pumps were not functioning. How? Both, the manual and the electric? they they not check that before going offshore? What is the chances that both pumps are not working? The manual one is bullet prove, if some maintenance is made.

A British Yacht off Sri Lanka has sunk in the Indian Ocean as reported by Andrew Brook from Yachting Monthly. The yacht which is a Blue Water rally type wasn't able to resist a violent winds in the Indian Ocean...

Keith Harding a 68 years old skipper injured his arm, and he was unable to navigate correctly. He contacted the Falmouth Coastguard in order to receive some medical advices to gain control over the boat again. Unfortunately, the situation aggravated after an hour, and he wasn't capable of handling the force 11 winds.

Keith Harding sent a mayday before Baccus, a Sun Odyssey of 45.2 meters started to sink. He from Kent and his crew, Colin Clarke from Cambridge and Sieste Hoff from Belgium, were all rescued by a merchant vessel named Maersk Surabaya. ....

In 2007, Mr. Harding along with his wife Susan (pictured above together in Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia) who is now 63 years old started the Blue Water Rally. However, unluckily, due to their old age, they had much health related issues during their time passed in the big blue sea. On many stages, they both had to go back to their country, which is UK, because of illness.

http://www.blueoceanyachting.com/yac...ian-ocean.html

So this is the problem. Now it is "normal" to call a Mayday "before the boat started to sinking". Why as he not waited the storm to pass? The boat was intact, the rig was on. We should call for a mayday when there is a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate assistance, not before it happens or in a situation where it can happen (or not) such a situation.

You ask me if someone that calls a mayday on a non life-threatening emergency that does not require immediate assistance should pay its evacuation I would say yes. Otherwise you would have maydays always a non prepared skipper or crew is frightened and want to get out of there.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook