SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at sea
Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Great thread, and very topical discussion, since like DRFerron mentioned, we seem to be getting inundated with the "I need to buy a boat and sail around the world and I've only got 4 days to leave. Oh, and I've never stepped foot on any type of boat before". And, like she said, there's then 3 pages of folks chastising anyone that sounds logical and responds with reason. You know, when bottom is a several thousand feet below you, and you're 100 miles from the nearest dirt, there's no time for "oops, maybe I should've listened to emoney". Of course these folks are going to call for help the minute a wave washes over the rail and gets the cockpit cushions wet. I'm in no way a fan of more regulation, however, this problem is going to multiply the more people get laid off from their jobs and decide it's as simple as sailing away from their troubles. There really needs to be some form of formal training and maybe licensing is the way to go (EGAD?!?!). If nothing else, maybe it's time for the insurance companies to say, "Listen, we've reviewed this incident and we believe you abandoned ship way too soon. Sorry, but your loss isn't covered". (of course, that would never work because we'd never see another claim paid). Just these past few weeks, there's been at least 5 new threads started about sailing off into the sunset by brand new sailors........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook