SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lowering mast has gouged a whole in Deck
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011

GalileoX is on a distinguished road
Question Lowering mast has gouged a hole in deck

Hello all, I have a 1985 U.S Yacht 25/Pearson 25 and the tang where the boom vang connects at the bottom of the mast has gouged a small hole in the deck aft of the mast after repeated mast lowerings. The plywood is visible through the 1" X .5" gouge and the PO had covered it with silicone caulk which pulled out easily when I was inspecting it. The deck seems to be solid and without any soft area around it so I'm not concerned that any rot has taken place. I wish to fill the area with some epoxy till such time when I can afford a better repair however I am also considering cutting out a 2" hole with a hole saw where the damage is being done and bedding in a 2" deck fill plate and cap with the fill tube cut down so that it isn't as thick as the deck. This way I can unscrew the cap providing a space for the vang connection tab to go down into the recess when lowering the mast. I would coat the inside of the hole with epoxy as well to keep the wood dry. There is no compression post as the main cabin bulkhead takes all the weight. Does anyone see any problem with this kind of fix? Secondly how can I dry the spot thoroughly without taking it inside. I thought about purchasing some kind of industrial desiccant and laying this over the hole and covering it with a plastic bowl sealed to the deck with tape and leaving it set for a couple of weeks. Again the deck doesn't seem soft and the wood does not seem rotted so I just want to prevent such from happening in the interim. Thanks for any ideas or tips.

Last edited by GalileoX; 11-27-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook