SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 30 MKII compression post substructure
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011

tonykeel is on a distinguished road
Sorry I did not get back to you. I was away for a couple months and then back to work! I will dig up the photos for you. It was not nearly as bad as it seems when you can't see whats under the sole. But once you cut the sole open it is not big deal. You just take off the mast, remove the compression post, cut out the sole, and you can see a block of wood with a v in the bottom that is kind of glued into the hull with a bedding compound. This bedding compound shifts over time and he sole bends down onto the block of wood as it settles. If I had known that this is what was under there I would have left the shim on top of the sole and just kept an eye on it. But I could not leave well enough alone and needed to did down to the hull.

I also split the compression post when I was reinstalling it and had to mill a new one from a beautiful piece of teak. I enjoy looking at it now and do not regret digging the whole thing apart and rebuilding it.

I also jacked up the cabin top about a half inch, to get rid of a pool of water that was hanging around the cabin top by the mast step. Also drilled the weep holes a little larger in the cabin step on top of the deck.

Retuning the rigging was no problem, there was lots of info on the net with different theories on how to do that.

What sort of difficulty are you encountering in tuning your rigging?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook