SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crack in the Compression post.
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011

tonykeel is on a distinguished road
I replace mine with teak, however the main reason i did this is that I was mad at myself for cracking it when I reinstalled the lag bolt before stepping the mast. The mistake I made was putting sealing compound in the lag bolt hole in the top of the mast. When I screwed the lag bolt back in the hole it created hydraulic pressure and pushed the top of the compression post open. In some places the lag bolt hole is only about 3/4 " away from the edge of the compression post. I had spent so much time fixing up the boat I did not want to put it back together with this unhappy occurrence. I found some teak and had it milled to shape so that the bulkhead fit into the slot and the cabin door closes properly. Best of all, no crack, and I can sit and admire it any time I like. It's really up to you if you want to fix it. If it is not opening, moving, flexing, groaning etc, it is probably nothing to worry about. There is probably other stuff to worry about that you don't know about yet .. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook