SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Looking forward to hear your final verdict Paulo!!
The Salona is a fine yacht!
Hi Nemier,

Actually I have accepted today the offer from Salona to buy a 38. I am waiting for a contract with the leasing guys.

I have been in contact with the guys from Salona for about a year, first about the 41 (that I charted for a week in the summer) and later about the 38. The 38 was released on the summer and I had the opportunity to sail the first boat in the water, this one:

I loved it from the beginning and the boat has enough space for us, it is fast enough, easier to put and to take out of the marina and the sails are not as big as the ones on the 41, making an easier boat to sail solo, not to mention, a less expensive one.

Basically I had already decided it would be a Salona because between the affordable fast and light boats this is probably the stronger, with its stainless steel grid to take the keel and the shroud efforts and with with an optional all vinilester/epoxy hull. The boat has also waterproof bulkheads aft and at the bow, and because Salona is the only affordable production shipyard that will modify their boats to meet my needs in all that it is possible and that was really a lot

For example, I wanted a boat less pointed to cruising and racing, but more pointing to a fast cruising boat with offshore good qualities, a very stiff boat that could sail well upwind without having guys on the side.

Not that the boat has a bad stability. It has already a good Ballast/displacement ratio for this type of keel and draft and a comparative good one if compared with most cruising boats of this size, but I wanted more:

I wanted to substitute the keel they have in the boat by an heavier and better performance one, one that was not designed for the best results on handicap racing, but for pure performance and that without adding much weight would give me a more powerful boat, specially in bad weather with a better reserve stability and a better AVS.

Well, it is done and at a price I do not found prohibitive.

I wanted a nice pole for the geenaker. I have discussed with them several models and they have already showed the preliminary drawings to me: A carbon one, the type Grand Soleil and x yachts are using that incorporates the anchor and bow roller. A nice design.

Done, and again at an affordable price.

I did not like the stow away cockpit table that was heavy and not very stable (the same type as on the 41). I talked to them and they said that they were going to look at it.

They have send me the designs: Nicely designed.

I complained about the instruments that were, like all boats that are also used for race, too far away, over the cabin entry. They have showed to me the available pods in the market: All ugly. They have said they were going to look at it. They have sent me the preliminar drawings (I have posted them already), nicely designed and I have no doubts, they will be well made.

I could go on for a long time, from permanent jack lines to places to hook the harness passing by lateral handgrabs on the spraywood, to a removable textile stay, to a Spade instead of their standard anchor, to a custom transom pole to the radar and a special support to carry the dingy on the transom, the list would be long not to mention the many options they have to customize the boat.

I guess they do that with clients that ask them things that actually can improve the boat, they do that to cruisers and they do that for racers too, but in this case in what regards pure performance and a faster and more competitive boat.

They say in its publicity:

Every Salona is a result of teamwork of external and internal designers among which we are proud to mention J&J Salona 38 designers, Jason Ker (keel optimization), many Olympic and professional sailors, interior
designers, suppliers and most importantly existing cruising or racing Salona customers.

http://www.salonayachts.com/documents/PR_Salona38.pdf

There are many that say things like these, normally bullsh*t except that in this case it is actually true

And how about you? You are the most strange guy I know about choosing a boat Specially considering you have a lot of sailing experience. I guess it has to have with your wife

Maybe that cat idea was not so bad in what regards your wive, providing you don't take her offshore (you can fly her). I saw some days ago a new cat from that brand of African cats that called my attention: Electric engines recharged by the sailing. I mean when you sail without engine the batteries are charged by the propellers. They say it is fast and that it works. Too good to be true but I will follow that even if it is out of my budget.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook