Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
No one asks for an unnecessary rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlag View Post
OK, I am a new sailor and I even started a thread the other day in which I claim that I will "float away" with my family to the Caribbean! Shame on me!!! DRFerron recommended I begin by reading this thread, which I guess means she is afraid I might call for an unnecessary water rescue while crossing the Gulf.

I know some people want to call a govnt to come save them, and it looks like others want to call the govnt to save them from people who they suspect might call a govnt to come same them. How many sailors are really statists with the govnt on speed-dial? I thought it was for more independently minded people.
All the people who pushed the EPIRB button or put out a MAYDAY call were scared sh*tless and thought that their lives were at considerable risk. It is easy for us to Monday morning quarterback them from the comfort of our computers. The problem to my way of thinking is that some of the people who put out premature SOS calls do not have enough experience to really know how bad the situation is. After getting knocked down this season in southern French Polynesia and suffering some damage (solar panel, stanchions, vane steering) we found that things looked a lot rosier after we stabilized the situation (which took a few hours) and had a good sleep. We could have panicked and pushed the button but we have had enough experience (and experiences) to realize that things were not as bad as they might have seemed - after all it was just some mess and a bit of water inside the boat (could have done without the dirt from the planters though which made the cockpit all muddy).

To the orginal poster, would it be your intention not to take an EPIRB or long distance radio equipment? Would seem what an independent-minded person would do.