SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has the America's Cup lost...?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
When AC became corporations it lost it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
This is very similar to the way I feel as well. Nothing against multi-hull's, I think they are pretty cool to watch. Just not in the America's Cup. Tactics and the hurried frenzy of an upwind beat were interesting to watch. Plus I'm a history buff so a mono-hull appeals to me more for this race.

I also am not a fan of how commercialized its become. I like it much better when the competing yacht clubs and boat names got top billing not the corporate sponsorship. I guess I just wish for the days when everyone knew the boat was named Stars & Strips and not Oracle. Corporate logo's on a boat have become incredibly overbearing, just look at the VOR.
I agree completely. When it was country vs country you did not nptice it was rich guy vs rich guy. Now it is corporate sponsorship and who can sign up the best Kiwis first. Much, much better if the boats represent countries and crews are from that country. One solution would be to choose a design limit that was cheaper so some multi-millionaire could do it rather than requiring a billionaire or huge corporation. I would not be against going back to 12 meters or even 8 meters (J-boats would be great but the costs get silly in a hurry) on a modified course or even different style courses on different days.