SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at sea
Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Try explaining this to all the people on this forum who respond to new boaters who want to sail around the world that all they need is a boat and just GO with no training on how to respond in an emergency or even how to know if they are in an emergency situation to begin with.
Ha, that's funny. I'm a newbie, I'd like to think those newbie's are mostly in a pipe dream, and have fun day dreaming out loud (all the while making themselves sound like idiots.

Where do all these people get the time to sail the world? Are they all 70 years old and retired with a nice nest egg? If not, don't they have job obligations, or even family? What about that one guy who said he was going to sell everything he owned, but a boat, max his credit cards, and peace out on all of his obligations?

For all the veterans, in my opinion, it seems like a waste of time even responding to people like that. I'm a quarter century young, just joined this forum, and I don't know jack about sailing. Have I sat at work thinking about how cool it would be to leave tomorrow and maybe even just down the east coast to florida and back with my girlfriend? Hell yeah I have, and its fun to think about, and totally UNrealistic. How would I pay for the boat and my other bills?

Where the hell do these people come from?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook