SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at sea
Thread: Lost at sea
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
As someone who hopes to soon cut the ties to land, I thought I would chime in. You know, the quick cries for help are not just a problem in the water. As a Firefighter for almost 30 years, I have seen our 911 calls grow from real emergencies to calls for bloody noses, sore feet, vomiting due to drinking, loneliness, keys locked in house or car, toothache, squirrel in cupboard, snake in living room, parrot in tree, upset stomach, sneezing, itching, and on and on...

What I tell my crew is that these sillyd calls keep us in business. We rarely have fires anymore, so the "darwin" calls keep us busy. It ain't glamorous, but it pays the bills. We too, get tied up on silly calls while others are having heart attacks and other real emergencies. It is a sign of the times. Everybody wants to be helped, whether they need it or not.

So, the general public will keep calling 911 for the silly reasons listed above, and the Coast Guard for the reasons listed earlier, and both of our crews will see them soon. The rest of you know when a real emergency is occurring, and will hopefully call somebody then.

Thanks, I feel better...

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook