SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailering a Spirit 23 - Surge Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011

my900ss is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I what take from the conversation is that you are hoping you do not need brakes on a trailer based on the towing capacity of your tow vehicle. You are slightly over the rated amount thus wanting validation of your thought/hope you will not need the trailer brakes. Do I have that summary correct?

When we trailer a boat the pull and push point to start and stop the trailer is at the hitch. The brakes on the trailer reduce the load at that point under braking. The brakes on a trailer serve in a primary regard to help you stop your vehicle with the added weight but as a secondary function aid in the stability of the trailer under braking. I.E. will help reduce the tendency of the trailer to want to get in front of your LR under heavy braking. Can you get away without having brakes on your trailer while towing a Spirit 23? The answer is more than likely yes, you may never have an issue. However if you ever need to brake and change lanes in an urgent fashion, NOT having the trailer brakes may indeed turn out to be a poor choice. By not reducing the excessive load on your trailer pivot point you increase the likely hood of a jackknife under heavy braking.

As a reference I just towed my Catalina 27 from California to North Carolina and brakes on the trailer while possibly never needed, they were appreciated. Best of luck to you whatever your final choice may be.

Regards,

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towing.jpg (60.9 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook