SailNet Community - View Single Post - 28ft Croatian white oak sloop
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As others have more or less suggested, you should remove the forward existing planking back to the first butt block on each plank. Care should be taken in removing the planks to mark the frame where each plank crosses the frames and mark the plank where each plank crosses frame so that you do not have to try to 'line off' the planks yourself. If you are careful, you should be able to use the existing planks as a pattern and take off the bevels, as well as the general shapes.

Looking at your photos, my hunch is that you may have this backward. I would suspect that the frames are oak and the planking is 1 1/2" thick Dalmatian Pine.

I am actually familiar with these boats. When I lived in Savannah in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I had a friend who owned a Concordia Yawl and who bought one of these for his wife to mess with. I sailed with them a few times. I must say his boat did not sail all that well. One of the reasons that I was sailing on the boat was to try to help the owner develop modifications to try to help the boat's sailing ability. In the end, he had bought the boat so cheaply that he decided it was not worth putting any money into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by tdw; 11-29-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook