SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tale from the ICW
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011

s/vchaser is on a distinguished road
I guess I am right around the corner from you at the San Pat nav district marina. I wanted to move to the one you are in but the lady there was concerned about my draft. 5.6 feet. Now we're moving to Island moorings. I haven't bumped bottom there yet but it is shallow for us. If you want some real adventure try heading north on the ICW from your marina and going into mine at night. Last time I had to make that turn it was so dark I couldn't see the bow of the boat. Spotlights are useless since the shoals are submerged a couple inches and the wind was dead calm so just couldn't see them. The channel entrance is only 20 feet wide and completely unmarked! Needless to say trying to make that turn navigating by GPS alone and trying to line up a couple landmarks on shore, I missed. Beached her pretty hard 10 feet from safe water. I was so glad my kid was onboard. He's a big farm kid that can throw a hay bale from one end of a 40 foot trailer to the other. ALL day long. He swam our anchor out to the middle of the ICW and dropped it. Then came back aboard and it was all we needed to pull ourselves off. What a night.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook