SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Everything you will do will have space in mind. Often, you simply won't have something at all because it won't fit or will take up too much space. As recently as this past weekend, I wanted to get a simple plastic filing box for manuals, which are piled in a locker. The box won't fit in the locker, nor under the nav station......, therefore, no box.

I don't actually live aboard, other than 4 days per week for 6 months, with a few week long stretches.

I use an iPad and it does absolutely everything I need aboard. Internet, email, charts, gps, Netflix, skype and more. Takes up no room at all and has a battery life that is twice that of most laptops.

If you have a windows requirement (many just convince themselves they do), a laptop or tablet usually easily fits in the nav table or elsewhere. A full box computer with keyboard and monitor would be an extraordinary waste of space and difficult to secure when underway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook