SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you control engine throttle and gear
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Just a comment on boat speed while docking. I try to go as slow as possible. But what I have found is that when docking during high winds, boat speed (if not excessive) may be your friend. Once it was very windy and I tried docking the boat going very slow. What I found is that the wind then took control of my boat. Say (single handing) you are coming into a dock that you are going to tie to. Say a strong wind is headed directly at your beam and blowing you off the dock. If you go too slow while approaching the dock, the wind will have more control of your boat than you do and will push you away, as it pushes you away you attempt to steer more towards the dock, in an extreme case your bow will be pointing to the dock, but in this situation there is no way to safely get off your boat to tie off. If you come in with some speed, then hit reverse to stop the boat and maybe even use some prop walk to move your stern closer to the dock, you can step off a boat that is stopped and next to the dock. Agree it is not good to have speed while docking, but as I see it sometimes it is the only way.

Am I missing somthing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook