SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you control engine throttle and gear
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Seems to me if you tied off the stern first, with a large fender at mid-ship and engine in slow forward, the bow would be pushed toward port, keeping the ship snugged to the pier. However, not sure I like the idea of jumping off a boat with the engine running in gear.
Normally I come in at about a 45 degree angle off the pier I tie to. If I come in at any less of an angle, the wind will push the boat away from the pier and the only choice I have then is to back out and try docking manuver again. If the boat is farther from the pier than what I can safely step off to, I must abandon the docking as I have now way to move boat closer to pier and I am then endager of hitting slipmates boat.

To tie off stern first and to have the boat in slow forward is of really no benefit and actually a danger. If I am on the pier able to tie the stern, I might as well tie the mid cleat and be done with it- the boat is now secure. to have the boat in gear and no one at the controls or on the boat is a big danger. Also, in this situation I now not only need to physically hold the wind loads on the boat, but also the prop loads. If somthing happens to me, the boat is in gear and might get spun around and head out of the dock. With no engine, worst thing that can happen is boat smacks the pier or slipmates boat, but after that she will stay in the slip and get banged around but not go anywhere (wind will keep pushing her into the slip).

Last edited by casey1999; 11-30-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook